Wednesday, April 02, 2008

World Autism Awareness Day



While April is a full Autism Awareness month, today, April 2nd, is World Autism Awareness Day. Just put World Autism Awareness into my google search engine on this blog and you'll find all KINDS of resources to learn about Autism.

Many of you know I have a 10 year old son with Autism. He has Asperger Syndrome which is a higher functioning autism. I am very proud to be the Mom for my son. He's a great kid and has such a wonderful sense of humor. He struggles with social things, has food issues (smells, tastes, textures) and will only eat certain foods. He sees everything as black and white. There is no grey for an Asperger kid/adult. We have called him our 'little professor' as long as I can remember. He is an expert (and I say that seriously) on Legos (especially bionicles), PS2, Wii, computer things and anything to do with his Creature Cards. Those are cards that come in the mail to him every 3 weeks. He is shy, but if he starts talking about something he knows about...well, whether you want to hear it or not, here it comes! lol My son is a very empathetic child too. He's just an all around really good kid. That's not saying we don't have our moments...we do for sure. Melt downs, butting up against each other now and then. But, we have all learned so much in this family from my son.

My dh and I have been so incredibly blessed by both of our children. And we thank the good Lord for them every day.

Hugs to all and I hope that you'll do some searching on Autism this month. It's more prevalent than most people know.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

He sounds like a great kid, Nancy. Children are a blessing, aren't they?

Nancy said...

100% blessings Sue!!

Google


The WeatherPixie

My Finishes

2008 Finishes
2007 Finishes

About Me

My photo
God is the head of my life. I have been an avid crocheter since I was 8 years old. Afghans of any size or skill level are my favorite thing to stitch. I have also been cross stitching since I was 23 years old as well. I love to read, work in the garden and especially spend time with my family.
Powered By Blogger

Blog Archive